July 04, 2015

Inkspirational Challenge - Designer's Choice - Grunge

It's time for another fun challenge over at Inkspirational!  This time it was our lovely and talented team member, Sandie's, choice.  Now you'd think that she would choose CAS or purple (cause that's what she loves) but she's also full of surprises and likes to keep us on our toes.  So, do you wanna know what she chose?  Grunge!


Now this is what she defines grunge as:  Grunge is characterized by distressed, worn-out elements and the use of subtle or earthy colours. Think torn edges, textured backgrounds, 'dirty' appearance, splatters, stains, even hand-drawn lines. That said, grunge doesn't always mean "dirty" or subdued colours. A card can have subtle grunge elements in light or soft ink and yet still look clean and simple. Just think of grunge as the opposite of "polished". 

Well, alright then.  Let's get grungy!  :-). Check out my card...


I decided to break out a new stamp I bought from our Spring trip into Bangor, ME and I got to shop at Hobby Lobby.  This octopus stamp was just too cool to pass up.  It's by Stampabilities.  So first, I stamped and embossed my octopus in white then I sponged mowed lawn and broken china Distress ink around it.  I lightly spritzed it with water so the ink would blend a bit and get those lovely water spots.  Then I splattered some watered down nautical blue Memento ink.  Once that was dry, I took my large and small splatter stamps (Neat and Tangled) and inked them up with grey flannel Memento ink, stamped them off and then lightly spritzed them with water before stamping them.  Then I stamped the sentiment (STAMPlorations) in grey.  I attached my panel to my card base with some foam dots.  I thought the sentiment was hilarious with the octopus and his eight arms.  That would be some hug!   :-)

I hope you'll go over to the blog and see what the Ink girls have created too.  We also have a fabulous Guest Designer, Ashwini from Experiments With Card Making Etc.  She's created not one, but two amazing cards for the challenge.  You definitely need to go take a look.

Well, I hope you having a wonderful weekend and thanks so much for stopping by!

I'd like to link up to the following challenges:

Craft Stamper Magazine July Challenge - "Take a Stamp". It's anything goes and you have to use a stamp.Addicted to Stamps and More - anything goes
City Crafter Challenge Blog- Let's Go Nautical
Virginia's View Challenge - 100% Stamped - everything is stamped on my card except the sponged colours and the dark blue splatters. Even the grey splotches are stamps.  :-)

15 comments:

  1. Your octopus *big hugs* grunge card is pure delight! Love this water-coloured ocean! Such a cool take on the theme!
    hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that sprigging and splattering made a wonderful grungy, yet beautiful, background for your octopus, Kim, and that sentiment is just perfect with him. Thanks for playing along with us at ATSM this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn auto correct! That's supposed to say "spritzimg ;) not sprigging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your grunge is colourful and what beautiful sea colours. Love the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card, just love the colors and the Octopus :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sure made me smile! Just imagining the big hugs an octopus would give..... Fabulous card and love mix of colours for the background splatter. So cool and I'm so happy to see you at ATSM this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fab ...... great colour choice and the octopus looks soooo cool! Thanks for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge ..... Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun card, Kim! I love the background. Thanks for playing along at Craft Stamper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy you're with us in the TIMI challenge from the Craft Stamper. Gorgeous project!
    xxx Ellie Knol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous card and a wonderful take on the challenge! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card Kim! I like the sponged color over the white embossed stamp. Perfect technique for the grunge challenge! Fun use of color!
    - Shauna

    P.S. I think there is something a miss with this cards link from the challenge blog...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing card, Kim! The octopus stamp is awesome (especially with the sentiment!) and I love the way you created the bg -I think I want to try something similar. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's a stunning work of art :) simply incredible !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh, it looks awesome the the sponging and splatter stamps! Great colour combo for the octopus and underwater look.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your comments. I really appreciate them!